Grayson Murray cause of death: Authorities reveal the way he died inside his garage

May 29, 2024

The apparent cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.

Grayson Murray celebrates winning the Sony Open golf event in Jan. 2024.

Grayson Murray, the 30-year-old golfer, died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Daily MailMurray was found in his Palm Beach Gardens townhouse, which had supposedly filled with exhaust fumes from his Land Rover, left running in the ground-floor garage.

Authorities responded to the scene at 10:49 a.m. on May 25 after a neighbor heard a carbon monoxide alarm. Murray shared the residence with his fiancĂ©e, Christina Ritchie.

Murray’s parents, Eric and Terry, revealed on Sunday that his death was by suicide. “We have spent the last 24 hours trying to come to terms with the fact that our son is gone,” they said in a statement. “It’s surreal that we not only have to admit it to ourselves, but that we also have to acknowledge it to the world. It’s a nightmare.”

The two-time PGA Tour winner had been open about his struggles with depression and alcoholism. After winning the Sony Open in January, he proudly announced he had been sober for eight months. However, Murray had withdrawn from the Charles Schwab Challenge on Friday due to illness, just a day before he took his life.

“We have so many questions that have no answers,” Eric and Terry Murray continued. “But one: Was Grayson loved? The answer is yes. By us, his brother Cameron, his sister Erica, all of his extended family, by his friends, by his fellow players and – it seems – by many of you who are reading this. He was loved and will be missed.”